This weekend I was lucky enough to be invited by the Floatworks to come and experience an afternoon of floating! I turned up without a clue what to expect!
So what actually is it? I got given some nice flip flops and a nice big fluffy towel and lead into my own private room (basically a really posh bathroom with a shower and a huge spaceship looking device). I showered, climbed into my pod, which was filled with super-saturated Epsom-salt solution, 25cm deep and containing 525kg of magnesium rich Epsom salts.
The solution is heated to skin temperature (35.5°C) and the environment in the tank is controlled so that the air is also skin temperature. Once you are settled, it is impossible to tell which parts of your body are in the water and which are not, if you opt to turn the light off too (which was encouraged) you aren’t even aware if your eyes are open or not!
This creates an environment similar to that of the Dead Sea but without the sensation of temperature or movement, which lets you float effortlessly on the surface of the water, enjoying a feeling of total freedom & weightlessness!
The idea is sensory deprivation, and supposed to have a lot of health benefits as well as being ridiculously relaxing!
Health benefits in a summary:
• Promotes total calm and peaceful relaxation
• Eliminates fatigue and jet lag
• Improves sleep
• Alleviates stress (mental and physical)
• Energises, rejuvenates and revitalises
• Increases motivation, diminishes depression, anxiety and fear
• Facilitates freedom from habits, phobias and addictions
Mental benefits of floatation
• Stimulates left/right brain synchronisation
• Shifts brain waves from beta to lower frequency alpha, theta and even delta
• Creates mental clarity, alertness
• Increases creativity, problem solving
• Heightens visualisation
• Deepens meditation
• Expands awareness, intensifies acuteness of all the senses, accelerates learning
• Enhances hypnotherapy and self-hypnosis
Physical benefits of floatation
• Decreases the production of cortisol, ACTH, lactic acid and adrenaline
• Increases production of endorphins
• Speeds up rehabilitation and recovery
• Relieves pain (arthritis, migraines, injuries and so on)
• Boosts immune function
• Improves circulation and distribution of oxygen and nutrients
• Reduces blood pressure, pulse, heart rate and oxygen consumption
• Improves athletic performance
Helps prevent sports injuries, speeds healing process
I was extremely skeptical of how I would cope with an hour floating a dark space – I am a bit restless and find it hard to switch off, I’m also not that keen on confined spaces.
The experience was incredibly and extremely relaxing, I came out feeling calm, sleepy and content, yet ultimately refreshed! I would definitely recommend the experience to anyone and I can’t thank the team at Floatworks enough for allowing me the experience and making me feel so welcome!